Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I really wasn't sure what I would think about living in Las Vegas when we decided we were going to move here. But I have to be honest, and I am not bragging, but I have learned to love it. At least this time of the year. It's almost five o'clock in the evening and it's 65 degrees. Today I babysat my nieces and nephews, so we decided to pack a lunch and walk less than a block down the road to go to my neighborhood park. Half of the kids were wearing shorts. None of us had jackets on. The weather is perfect.

If only it would last. I know June will be here sooner than I'd like it too, and then I will be cursing the city of Las Vegas for existing in such a hot, dry, barren desert. Just like last summer when I had to be out of the house by the time the sun came up so that I could go for a run before it was scorching. I am hoping to get a treadmill for the summer. Or a lot of new workout dvd's.

Vegas does have it's perks. There is always something to do, or someplace to go. And it's not all on the strip, like I've heard people say. Maybe I am enjoying it here so much because we finally feel like we have a place of our own, a cute little house. Maybe it's because I know we are here temporarily, and that in less than four years we can be any where else. Whatever the reason, I am content here and now.

My parents were here over the MLK Jr. holiday weekend, so we kept them busy.

We took them to our two favorite things on the strip, the Mirage volcano, and the Bellagio water fountain show.


Both shows are very cool, especially because they are free.


Owen did not leave my mom alone the whole time they were here. He never left her side. It was a great break for me. They were even gone for a walk and back before Nick and I were even out of bed one morning!

7 comments:

Kris said...

I'm so glad you love Las Vegas. People always make it sound like such a bad place and yet so many of my friends have loved living there. You have such a great attitude and you always look at the positive when it comes to your situations. Thanks for sharing.

Shay Lee said...

You mentioned running in this post and it brought back memories of you in elem. school. If i had to say what sticks out in my mind about you back then it would be that you were fun and happy, you could do your hair really well, and you liked to run. I HATED running... still do. I think you were always one of the first to finish the mile. Also, I love when my mom comes because I also get a break. BUT... I'm pretty sure Harlee loves my mom more than me and when she leaves Harlee is so naughty for days! Hope you had it better. :)

Andrea said...

It's so nice to hear stories like yours, because Kirk is always threatening to apply for an out of state transfer, and one of the places he'd love to transfer to is Vegas. It makes me a little less scared to think of living somewhere other than "home."

Jared & Tracee said...

I had so many aunts and uncles who lived in Vegas while I was growing up, and I love it there! It is my second home! I agree with June/July, but that is why they invented swimming pools! Just know that I am VERY jealous of you in the nice weather!

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

Becky! I have a treadmill that we don't use, because I go to Karate. If you come to Castle Dale it's yours.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Have you been to the Springs Preserve on the North side of town? I went over the weekend and it was really fun. There isn't a whole lot to look at outside right now, but they have a bunch of hands on exibits about living in the desert and the animals that live here too. Just in case you are ever looking for something new!

jefferies said...

I'm feeling a little jealousness over that nice weather about now...but I will not be come summer.
Glad you're liking it there!
I am missing you guys!