This little boy is now 3 years old! When he woke up on his birthday and I gave him his morning snuggles, it hit me! He is definitely not a baby anymore. I have loved and celebrated every milestone and growth achievement with him, and didn't feel an ounce of sadness until that day. He is only going to keep on getting bigger and bigger. I love his independence, but too soon the day will come where he thinks he doesn't need me anymore, or he's too big or too cool for his mommy. So I will have to savor his littleness while it lasts. I love his littleness.
He had preschool in the morning, so I had made some cupcakes to bring and share with his class. While he was gone to preschool, I came home and set up the tables, party hats, balloons and decorations. It was so fun to see his expression when he walked in the door after I picked him up! But first, we had to make a few stops to run some errands, and pick him up a happy meal, his lunch of choice on his happy birthday!
That evening we had some of Nick's dental student friends and their families over to celebrate. We had dinner, pinata, and cake. It was so much fun, they are such great friends! And here is the soccer ball cake Owen requested for his birthday. I have to admit, I was very pleased with the way it turned out! It was pretty experimental, and very hard to get the black frosting to look like a soccer ball. There was an ice cream layer in the middle, with green tinted coconut for grass.
It was really fun to see these little kids trying to break open the pinata. They just don't hit very hard, so we had to get help from some of the daddies there. It was pretty funny!
I think it's fun to look back in time exactly a year ago to see how much has changed. Owen has grown a ton this past year! Last year this time we had barely moved in to our house a week and a half before Owen's birthday, and we were still getting settled in. I took a look at my blog post that day, and thought it was fun. Check it out if you are interested! http://millerrubbish.blogspot.com/2008/09/happy-birthday-to-owen.html
8 comments:
Happy Birthday Owen!
You did a wonderful job on the cake. He looks so much older than when he was 2. It's crazy! Happy Birthday Owen!
Cute! Good job on the cake! I'm impressed, that looks like a dang good soccer ball! Glad he had such a fun birthday. Nathan sure liked the cupcakes at preschool! He's such a cute kid and I know what you mean about how fast they grow up! Wait till you have a baby and then you compare her to him! Then he'll really seem big!
You have some mad cake decorating skills! AND your 8 months pregnant. You rock, Rebecca!
That was such a fun party Rebecca! Thanks for letting us be a part of Owen's special day. And I'm still amazed at how awesome the cake turned out!
Happy birthday Owen! You throw a GREAT party!
It looks like you all had so much fun! I am sorry we missed it.
They change in the blink of an eye don't they? What an exciting time we are in!
He's so cute! I love how excited and happy he is in all the pics!
Post a Comment