Friday, June 14, 2013

 So it just hit me that we are moving in two weeks!  I've already started some packing, and the walls are bare.  It's now sinking in that I am leaving this town and the awesome people I know here.  I need to make some memories and take lots more pictures before we leave!  Owen's last day of first grade was last week.  Once in a while I will ask him if he loves being out of school or if he misses it.  He consistently answers by saying that he misses school.  When I ask him what he misses most about it, he usually says gym.  I remind him of all the fun things we've been doing already, like playing on the trampoline, going for bike rides, playing at the splash park, etc. but I guess its not the same as playing a game with a bunch of kids in a gym!  Here he is at his end of first grade luau party:




We live just shy of a mile from his school, so no buses come through our neighborhood.  I drove him to and from school everyday.  He always asked if he could walk home from school, but I never felt comfortable letting him do that on his own, and I never made the effort to walk there and back to get him.  The last day of school was absolutely beautiful, so I decided we would surprise him with his scooter to ride home.  And some balloons to begin the summer break celebration!


Here is Teslyn on our way to his school.  I carried his scooter.

 Here is Owen, on the left was after his first day, on the right was after his last day of first grade.  Not a real big difference, just a bit bigger!  And one big tooth has filled in his gap so far.


He was surprised to see us, especially with the balloons.  A few years down the road I am sure that surprise would turn to embarrassment, me being the only parent with balloons!  We had a fun ride home, although it was a little long for Tes.


When we got home I gave Owen lots of options for a special after school/beginning of summer break snack.  He picked frozen yogurt.  Yummy choice!


And he insisted we sit outside to enjoy it.  


That weekend was the kids fish free day.  There were 4 tents/areas set up, and each kid could go through each one to learn something about fishing then get their card marked off.  When it was filled up, they each got a free fishing pole!  A real one.  The lines were a little long, but there were lots of friends there and they had fun.  Unfortunately I only got one picture!  It's this one of Owen trying his hand at casting a fishing line on his own, the last of the 4 requirements.  After we got each kid a fishing pole and some bait, we got to fish in the big pond there.  I really planned to get a picture of that, but was too occupied trying to get worms on hooks and away from kids faces.  Good thing friends were there to help, because Nick spent the morning helping a friend clean the church, then having that friend help him get our scooter running.  Which he did, and as soon as I get pictures it will be on the blog!  But Owen learned a lot that morning, and can actually cast his line into the water really well on his own!  He loved it, even though no one caught anything.  Teslyn had fun too, looking at the worms and holding her fishing pole.


Here is a silly picture of Teslyn helping me cook Sunday afternoon.  I said, "show me your pretty lady smile," and this is what she did.  Hahaha, she cracks me up!  Anytime I get help in the kitchen, I always have a bigger mess to clean up.  


We spent a couple days at the splash park already.  The pools don't open until the last weekend of June, which is when we move.  It's just not consistently warm enough here until then, I guess! 


We meet lots of friends there, and the kids love it, even if the water is freezing!


My cuties.


Owen has been on my case about making him a job chart.  Funny, huh?! It's something we did a couple summers ago, and he knows a couple of his friends are doing it too this summer.  We sat down at the computer and came up with the list of jobs.  Flush toilet was his idea, which is great, because I can go a couple days without going in his bathroom upstairs and then when I do, I am overpowered by the stench.  So gross.  Morning exercise was an idea of mine.  It will keep me motivated to keep going, even though I am getting really big and round and my hips hurt too much to even jog anymore.  We do a mile loop each morning, Tes on her bike, Owen on his scooter, and me waddling behind as fast as I can!  Then I do some yoga/pilates moves including some lunges and squats to keep some muscle tone and strength.  I am 27 weeks along now, last week of the second trimester!   

Owen is very motivated by the job chart, now we have to figure out how and what the reward will be.  Teslyn isn't as motivated, so Owen pretty much helps her do all of her jobs.  It's cute.

No comments: