Thursday, August 30, 2012

We wanted to take a quick weekend trip up to Glacier National Park before the cold weather hits and the park closes.  We made it happen last weekend.  It was a fun little getaway!  We drove 4 hours to Whitefish where we stayed the two nights.  Saturday morning we set out early to hit the trails!


After seeing a picture of our friends at Avalanche Lake earlier this summer, I decided that was the hike I wanted to take.  It's 4 miles round trip.  I was sure Owen could handle it, and I knew we needed a child carrier backpack for Teslyn.  I got lucky and found a nice one on craigslist.  


That morning was COLD!  I wished we had gloves!  I knew once we started hiking it would warm up quick.   Here is Owen showing us a bunny, but the best part of this picture is the big space in his smile!  I think it's cute.  And it's another story for another post.


Here is a before picture as we headed up the mountain.  It was so beautiful.


Owen was excited to wear a backpack with snacks and drinks.


 Teslyn got out of her ride to do some hiking now and then.


And we made it!  Out of the forest and into the warm sunshine at the lake.


Avalanche Lake.  There is a glacier up there, out of sight, unfortunately. We could see a waterfall, and it was a beautiful view.


 A favorite past time, throwing rocks.

 




 As we started the hike back down, we decided we were ready for lunch and wanted to put the hustle on.  I gave Owen a piggy back ride almost the entire way down, and we literally jogged down the mountain.  It was quite a workout!  Here is Teslyn with her arms in the air, saying "wweeeeee!!!"


After lunch we headed back to the hotel, where we swam for the second day in a row.  I picked this place for the big slide and breakfasts. 


The kids were so glad.  They were seriously smiling and laughing the whole time!


It felt so good to unwind in the hot tub, too!


Sunday after church, we headed home via Going-to-the-Sun-Road through Glacier National Park.  It was breathtaking, in more way than one!  It was beautiful, but also a little freaky being so high on the edge of the mountain!  The fact that is was built in 1932 is impressive also.



Up, up, up to Logan Pass, then back down the other side.  We would have stopped for a quick hike on top, but Teslyn fell asleep, and we wanted to keep her that way.


There was a great view of the Jackson Glacier we stopped to check out.  Doesn't nearly compare to the ones in Alaska though!


It was a fun little weekender, and we can't wait for another one!  Yellowstone, Billings, MT Temple, Cardston, Alberta Temple and possibly the Calgary Temple dedication are on my list.

3 comments:

Kara said...

That is gorgeous and my kind of vacation! Can we come visit you guys next summer?? By then you'll be pros and awesome tour guides! I'm jealous of the beauty of your surroundings! Enjoy! And those cute kids- Owen is looking so big with no front teeth! Miss you guys!

Lauren said...

Beautiful. Have I mentioned that I love Montana?? Looks like your family is taking full advantage of being in such an amazing place! Love all your pictures.

Kate said...

Looks beautiful and SO Fun!! Isn't it great to live somewhere new and have adventures? We'll have to join you sometime...we've never been to Glacier, and Yellowstone is on our list too!